- Tomah Community Dinner is every Monday from 4:40pm to 5:30pm at the Tomah Masonic Lodge. 520 E Saratoga Street, Tomah.
- Neighbor for Neighbor Food Pantry, We are now collecting PANCAKE MIX, and Mac and Cheese. All other food donations and bags are still appreciated. Volunteers are always needed 608-372-6737
- Families First is a organization based in Tomah helping people find housing, clothes and other items when it is needed .608-374-4141
- Faith In Action is a faith based organization in Tomah providing grocery delivery, transportation to various appointments, shopping, caring companionship, minor repairs to their homes and seasonal yard work. Volunteers are always needed 608-372-0939
- The next Noisy Offering collection will be December 29th.
CHRISTMAS GIVING TREES
The joy of giving sparks our hearts in a special way during the Christmas season. This year we as a church, will be supporting gifts for the following organizations:
Tomah Care Center - Pick a tag from the tree for items needed to support this ministry. Items are to be returned UNWRAPPED and placed in designated collection bags.
Tomah Head Start - Pick a tag from the tree for children in the program. Items are to be returned WRAPPED with the gift tag attached.
Miller Middle School - A special gift bag is given to children who might not otherwise receive any gifts for Christmas. First UMC focuses on toiletries (chap stick, toothbrush/paste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, socks, etc.) but the gifts also include books, school supplies and a sweatshirt which comes from other sources.
The donations for these 3 collections are DUE by Wednesday, DECEMBER 11th.
Hat, Scarf, Mitten & Sock Tree - Many organizations will benefit from the items added to the warming tree. All sizes are needed, and warmth/water resistance is a priority. Collection will continue through December.
The Outreach Team is coordinating these opportunities for giving.
We will also be collecting new men’s underwear to give to the VA.
- SOCIAL ACTION PROJECT - for our project this year, the UMW voted to support our church's new project, Family Promise. To facilitate families staying overnight at our church, needed items will include sheets and pillowcases, pillows and protectors, blankets, waterproof bed pads, small lamps and alarm clocks, small gifts for children, and money for totes and food. A sign- up sheet with more details is posted on the kiosk, and there will be a box in the narthex for collection of these items. Please consider donating, the support and participation of our church family has always helped to make these projects a success!
We will address the very real issue of family homelessness in Monroe County cost-effectively by utilizing existing community resources. Congregations will provide space in their buildings to serve as temporary evening/overnight accommodations (each host will offer 4 one week stays for 3-5 families per year). The Day Center, located at Sparrow's Nest at the Abbey, will provide the location where families can take showers, receive intensive, individualized case management to include education and connection to resources that will help them overcome the hurdles that are keeping them from stability. Transportation will be provided to get families from the host congregations to the day center and we will collaborate with the school districts to ensure that children are not shuffled between districts.
With volunteers giving their time, making meals, and sharing hospitality, family homelessness will be addressed without requiring the creation of an expensive shelter. These volunteers are the core of the program. They share food, spend the night, play with children and lend their passion and expertise to help families get back on their feet. They prove that motivated people can solve family homelessness. Will you be a volunteer? For more information, contact Amanda Wallerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
" Wheels 2 Worship "
- This is a new program to help people that want to attend church be able to use the local taxi service. for the full schedule and directions contact our church office. This service is being provided and paid for by our church and Tomah Transit. Any questions please call the church office. To make donations to this great new cause just note on your offering envelope.
- Adopt-A-Highway – First UM Church has an assigned section of Hwy 16 for which we made a commitment to clean-up twice annually. What we lack is a key coordinator to organize this effort. Connect with Dean Baumgarten to learn more or to indicate you would be willing to lead this ministry of our care of the earth. There is a sign up sheet on the kiosk to indicate you would assist on clean up days.
- Our church gives out an Annual Scholarship to anyone who is completing high school this current year, and/or has completed one post year of schooling. Donations may be made at any time to the scholarship fund. Just designate ‘Scholarship Fund’ on your offering envelopes. Thank you for supporting this ministry.
- The Memorial committee has available their Mary Wedin CNA Memorial Scholarship. This is available to anyone wanting to take their CNA class and exams. Applications are available at any time through the year in church office.
CAMP SCHOLARSHIPS -Every year the UMW offers scholarships for anyone interested in attending Lake Lucerne or Pine Lake summer camps. The scholarship supplements camp registration, it does not cover the full cost. For more information contact Patricia Zimmerman at (608) 372-6281.
- MABEL HEIL SCHOLARSHIP - conference scholarship available to any woman working to improve her education. Since 1981, over 240 women have received help. Deadline is October 1 for spring semester. Requirements and instructions are posted on the kiosk. Applicant must be an at large member of the Wisconsin UMW, fill out an application including answering one essay question, and provide two letters of recommendation as specified.