- Tomah Community Dinner is every Monday from 4:40pm to 5:30pm at the Tomah Masonic Lodge. 520 E Saratoga Street, Tomah.
- Neighbor for Neighbor Food Pantry, We are now collecting PANCAKE MIX, and INSTANT OATMEAL. All other food donations and bags are still appreciated. Volunteers are always needed 608-372-6737
- Families First is a organization based in Tomah helping people find housing, clothes and other items when it is needed .608-374-4141
- Faith In Action is a faith based organization in Tomah providing grocery delivery, transportation to various appointments, shopping, caring companionship, minor repairs to their homes and seasonal yard work. Volunteers are always needed 608-372-0939
- The next Noisy Offering collection will be June 30th. For the Special Olympics........THANK YOU!!!!!! WE COLLECTED $149.20 FOR THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS
- The Garden of Love will starting again this year. People will be donating their harvested produce this year to our church family. Donations received for these harvested produce will go to Family Promise.
- UMW will be having their Summer Outing on August 1st. We will meet at Murray’s on Main at 5:00pm for dinner (pay for your own meal). We will then go to the High School to attend the Willy Wonka play. Tickets are $20 each. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the kiosk this week. Everyone is invited!
Mentoring at Lemonweir
The new mentor orientation will be on Thursday, August 15th from 5:30-7:00pm. Anyone interested in becoming a mentor can fill out an interest form. Once that is completed, there is some other paperwork that will be sent to you for orientation. The steps of how to get the interest form are listed below:
Go to the school district's web site to find out information on the program and to fill out an interest form. Go to "Recent News" on the right side of the district's homepage and click "View All News" (it's a yellow box). Then scroll down to the "Mentor Program Launching at Lemonweir" and click on it. It has the district's logo and Gundersen Global Partners logo by this link. You can read about the program. Towards the bottom of the information about the program you can click on Lemonweir Mentor Program. It's underlined, but it's a link that will open to the next page. On the next page is additional information about the program, and on the left side of the page you can click "Become a Mentor" to fill out a Mentor Interest Form.
- The Dementia Friendly Monroe County Coalition is reaching out to area churches to obtain input on how to best meet the dementia needs of the residents of Monroe County. They have put together a Needs Assessment/Survey and are asking members of our congregation to take part.
The Dementia Friendly Monroe County Coalition mission statement is: “To build a dementia-friendly community through collaborative partnerships that will raise awareness, provide education, and encourage community engagement that will ultimately enhance quality of life for everyone.”
The more feedback they get the more accurate results on what Monroe County needs in terms of dementia support and/or services. Where systems are meeting needs and what needs we should be addressing.
The survey will be available June 23rd in the church office.
We will address the very real issue of family homelessness in Monroe County cost-effectively by utilizing existing community resources. Congregations will provide space in their buildings to serve as temporary evening/overnight accommodations (each host will offer 4 one week stays for 3-5 families per year). The Day Center, located at Sparrow's Nest at the Abbey, will provide the location where families can take showers, receive intensive, individualized case management to include education and connection to resources that will help them overcome the hurdles that are keeping them from stability. Transportation will be provided to get families from the host congregations to the day center and we will collaborate with the school districts to ensure that children are not shuffled between districts.
With volunteers giving their time, making meals, and sharing hospitality, family homelessness will be addressed without requiring the creation of an expensive shelter. These volunteers are the core of the program. They share food, spend the night, play with children and lend their passion and expertise to help families get back on their feet. They prove that motivated people can solve family homelessness. Will you be a volunteer? For more information, contact Amanda Wallerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
" Wheels 2 Worship "
- This is a new program to help people that want to attend church be able to use the local taxi service. for the full schedule and directions contact our church office. This service is being provided and paid for by our church and Tomah Transit. Any questions please call the church office. To make donations to this great new cause just note on your offering envelope.
- Adopt-A-Highway – First UM Church has an assigned section of Hwy 16 for which we made a commitment to clean-up twice annually. What we lack is a key coordinator to organize this effort. Connect with Dean Baumgarten to learn more or to indicate you would be willing to lead this ministry of our care of the earth. There is a sign up sheet on the kiosk to indicate you would assist on clean up days.
- Our church gives out an Annual Scholarship to anyone who is completing high school this current year, and/or has completed one post year of schooling. Donations may be made at any time to the scholarship fund. Just designate ‘Scholarship Fund’ on your offering envelopes. Thank you for supporting this ministry.
- The Memorial committee has available their Mary Wedin CNA Memorial Scholarship. This is available to anyone wanting to take their CNA class and exams. Applications are available at any time through the year in church office.
CAMP SCHOLARSHIPS -Every year the UMW offers scholarships for anyone interested in attending Lake Lucerne or Pine Lake summer camps. The scholarship supplements camp registration, it does not cover the full cost. For more information contact Patricia Zimmerman at (608) 372-6281.
- MABEL HEIL SCHOLARSHIP - conference scholarship available to any woman working to improve her education. Since 1981, over 240 women have received help. Deadline is October 1 for spring semester. Requirements and instructions are posted on the kiosk. Applicant must be an at large member of the Wisconsin UMW, fill out an application including answering one essay question, and provide two letters of recommendation as specified.